Get a quote
Request your Green Card
Follow these simple steps to request a green card. Once you have submitted the form, we will produce the document and send it out in the post. We will issue the Green Card in the 30 days prior to the date of travel.
To obtain the Green Card, please complete this short form. After processing the information, we will mail it back to you.
First Name
This field is required
This field is required
Phone Number
This field is required
Please enter a proper email address
Policy No.
This field is required
Vehicle Make
This field is required
Vehicle Model
This field is required
Vehicle Registration No. or Engine No.
This field is required
Countries Visiting
This field is required
Departure Date
This field is required
Return Date
This field is required

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Learn more about Green Card application process.

Why do I need a Green Card?

A ‘green card’ is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. This is for if you are driving a car, van, motorcycle or even a caravan or trailer.

How much does it cost?

At Hagerty, we provide a Green card at no extra cost to our clients. Some insurers may charge an administration fee to provide you with a Green card.

Where does a Green Card cover me to drive?

A green card covers you for travel into the EU/EEA and for travel between EU/EEA countries. You must identify the countries you wish to travel to us so we can mark the Green Card accordingly.

Can I show proof of my Green Card on my phone or other electronic device?

No – You must carry a physical copy of your green card when driving abroad. Electronic versions of green cards are not acceptable.

When do I need to show my Green Card?

You will need to show green cards if you are involved in an accident. You may need to show green cards at police checks and at the border when entering the EU/EEA or moving between EU/EEA countries. This will depend on the border authorities of each country.

When do I request a Green Card?

The government recommends that motorists contact their insurer six weeks in advance of their trip. We ask that you request a Green Card no later than 30 days before date of departure so that we can send it out to you promptly.

Do I need an International Driving Permit in addition to a Green Card?

You only need an International Driving Permit if you have an old paper licence

Drivers who have a photocard driving licence will not require an International Driving Permit (IDP) for visits of less than 90 days in any 180-period.

Travellers who only have a paper licence will need to purchase an IDP, at a cost of £5.50. Those that have licences issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man may also need an IDP. The permits are available over the counter at most Post Office branches, and you’ll need to produce a passport-style
photo, your driving licence and your passport.

As there are different types of permit for different nations, check the website to see which you’ll need to apply for. (link:

Overheard in garages across the UK

  • "Fantastic customer service. A trusted company and service that many friends use with their old cars. Wouldn’t look anywhere else. Thanks to Dan G who helped sort it all out so quickly and efficiently."


    5 stars: Excellent / 2 September 2021

  • "Hagerty was recommended by a good friend who has used them for years. I make a call this morning and within 10 minutes I had a quote and a policy. The agent, Tom, was professional, knowledgeable and efficient which made the whole process seamless and very easy. This is how it should work."


    5 stars: Excellent / 29 July 2021

Want to hear more real-time stories?

Thank You!

Your request will be handled as soon as possible